Wednesday 24 November 2010

Collecting

I have now collected some materials for the course. I have a selection of muslin, linen, cotton, velvet, poly cotton, net, and a very interesting rubber non-slip material that looks very much like counted embroidery canvas. I find that I have to have the materials generally in order to find inspiration, so am looking forward to working with them. I also have some silk and voile. I have some fabric paints, drawing inks and acrylic inks. I have tried them out on paper, but yet to see what they do on fabric. The cotton is going to be very handy, as I have enough to try out all sorts of dyeing techniques. I have researched the careers and works of Vanessa Bell, Paul Klee, Picasso and Van Gogh as well. Bell, I find intriguing, although I only actually like one of her works, Klee I have always liked, Van Gogh I have never understood (and am unlikely to, Starry nights and Kinetics aside), but Picasso is a revelation. Before I add this work to the blog, I need to work out how to acknowledge the Bridgeman Education website, before I breach every copyright law in the world.

I have created a couple of paintings purely in trying out my new acrylic inks (pearlescent, and lovely to work with), and my drawing inks (equally lovely on watercolour paper). There is something about each new material that inspires a new idea. I have tried to keep up my sketchbook, but so far, husband and cat pictures are very uninspiring. Husband looks like a 60 year old Van Gogh (he is only 30), and cat looks decidedly unfinished. I seem to do better on loose sheets of paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment