Wednesday 24 November 2010

Day 15 in the haberdashery house…

Ok, so have decided to ditch working in pencil for a bit, as I seem to work better in coloured pencils and other media. Got my first bit of inspiration from something other than a magazine or a work of art, so decided to play with it a while:

1.      Quick sketch of a sunset – done in oil pastels, with silhouetted trees (just like the real thing). Very quick sketch, and the oils range I have wasn’t quite enough to really capture the vibrant colours (best sunset I’ve seen since we moved here a year ago). So I thought I would try something else with this scene…
2.      Same sunset, but with Tissue paper and black card. I saw bundles of the stuff for 79p a packet (10 large sheets per packet), so I got some, then hey presto, the sunset beckoned. It was fun randomly playing around with the effect of overlaying the translucent colours, and lends itself so obviously to layering organza, so there is a possibility this could be translated into a project piece…
3.      Just for fun, I found some glaze and decided to go with the opposite effect. I drew the outline of the scene with the glaze, waited a couple of days for it to set, then did a watercolour wash over the top. Once dry, I cleared the excess paint off the glaze, and the effect was quite nice. I imagine it is not far off a wax resist print effect, so again, could provide inspiration for a transfer to fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment